As I sit watching a cheesy Hallmark movie on the evening of my 26th birthday, I can’t help but reflect back on my 25th year of life and all that it has brought and taught me.
- Comparison is the thief of joy. Time spent comparing our lives to others whom we know nothing about, is often time wasted.
- Have an opinion of your own-conversations with opinionated people are the best, even if their views differ from yours.
- Constructive criticism is a blessing in disguise.
- Be vocal. Be your own advocate and always stand up for what is right, even when others stay silent.
- It’s OK to have goals and dreams that seem unattainable or are different from those around you-go after it and don’t stop until you get it.
Family & Friends
- If you’re lucky enough to still have your grandparents, visit them. The wisdom and love they provide is immeasurable.
- There is no place more comforting and reassuring than the arms of your parents. As an adult, you can truly appreciate and understand the sacrifices they made for you and their influence on your life.
- Setting aside time to share a meal or hangout with friends is important and could always be the dose of therapy you never knew you needed.
- Never leave without saying I love you.
- You naturally get more and more like your mother every day.
- Don’t go searching for love, love will come to you when the time is right.
- Love is patience and understanding.
- Love doesn’t mean finding someone that’s perfect, it’s accepting another’s flaws and imperfections.
- Healthy love should make you feel at peace and allow you to always be yourself.
- You can’t fully love someone until you fully love yourself.
- You can never go wrong with sharing a smile or an act of kindness.
- Many people are facing battles you know nothing about.
- Always show respect and treat others how you’d expect to be treated. The janitor deserves the same respect as the CEO.
- Be grateful-there’s always someone who has it worse.
- Listen and acknowledge other people when they speak.
- Fate is fate and what’s meant to happen will happen-stop worrying.
- Dream it, believe it, achieve it. Think of why your dreams will happen for you..not the reasons they won’t.
- Trust in timing.
- Surround yourself with positive and influential people that will inspire you and guide you toward your goals.
- When in doubt, ask God.
26, I’m ready for you.